
While I may not live on Wisteria Lane, I felt as if Bree and some of her other gal pals were sunning themselves at my development's pool yesterday. I am trying to get some even color without strap lines for my friend's wedding that I am in on August 1st and while I was reading/sleeping/sunning myself, I couldn't help but overhear Bree and her diva friend talking about their incredibly difficult lives.
Yes, to be bikini-clad after popping out at least 2 children each is treacherous. And to be lounging poolside at 3pm on a Tuesday...horrifying!!! They were discussing housework (I would place money that they have someone come in and clean for them) and their marriages. What struck me as the most bizarre statement from their perfectly puckered lips was that (gasp!) she and her husband WERE ACTUALLY FRIENDS and enjoyed DOING THINGS TOGETHER! They would go for walks, enjoyed going out to eat with one another and even admitted to having fun playing games with the whole family. EEK!
Now, I don't know about you, (and maybe I live in a delusional world in which I pray to, in fact, marry my best friend) but, ummmm....aren't you kinda sorta supposed to at least tolerate the person whom you marry? I mean, yeah, I'm sure that you aren't both going to love, love, love every single thing that the other does, but shouldn't there be at least some common ground? And, forgive me if I'm being bold, but even if you don't exactly like something that your significant other does, don't you, on occasion, go along for the ride just to be together and enjoy with them what they enjoy?
Now I know it would truly be a miracle from God for me to find a man who: 1) loves the Steelers as much as I do, 2) enjoys music 3) likes the outdoors 4) wants to serve in the church in some capacity 5) is stable emotionally, spiritually, and financially 6) is taller than I am 7) wants to have kids, someday 8) comes from a somewhat stable background 9) will allow me to spoil him with my cooking and 10) will cherish me and love me to the end of time. In all seriousness, there are only a few on that list that I won't budge on...I mean really, if he doesn't like the Steelers, I see no future. (JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!)
I guess it just kinda blows my mind when people marry for all the wrong reasons. I just that I can tend to have some small amounts of jealousy seeping out when I hear women talk about how their husbands don't ever do anything to help them...I'm going to guess that that man is, at the very least, working 40+ hours a week to provide for their family and allowing them to be poolside on a Tuesday at 3pm. Isn't that kinda helping? Yes, I know that I've heard my own mother beg my dad to help her out (Love you, Mom!) around the house and for the most part, he kinda does...at his own pace...which usually isn't the pace that she would prefer. I'm sure that when my time comes, I will learn about the intricate balance of wedded bliss, but until then it is sometimes hard to bite my tongue when people are complaining about their spouses.
I'm also pretty sure that this blog will come back and bite me in the butt in twenty or thirty years, but I just have to set the record straight: Ladies...there are women out there who would love to have someone to walk, talk and play games with...even if he might be grouchy after work, may not pick up his dirty clothes off of the floor and he never puts the toilet seat down.
Yes, to be bikini-clad after popping out at least 2 children each is treacherous. And to be lounging poolside at 3pm on a Tuesday...horrifying!!! They were discussing housework (I would place money that they have someone come in and clean for them) and their marriages. What struck me as the most bizarre statement from their perfectly puckered lips was that (gasp!) she and her husband WERE ACTUALLY FRIENDS and enjoyed DOING THINGS TOGETHER! They would go for walks, enjoyed going out to eat with one another and even admitted to having fun playing games with the whole family. EEK!
Now, I don't know about you, (and maybe I live in a delusional world in which I pray to, in fact, marry my best friend) but, ummmm....aren't you kinda sorta supposed to at least tolerate the person whom you marry? I mean, yeah, I'm sure that you aren't both going to love, love, love every single thing that the other does, but shouldn't there be at least some common ground? And, forgive me if I'm being bold, but even if you don't exactly like something that your significant other does, don't you, on occasion, go along for the ride just to be together and enjoy with them what they enjoy?
Now I know it would truly be a miracle from God for me to find a man who: 1) loves the Steelers as much as I do, 2) enjoys music 3) likes the outdoors 4) wants to serve in the church in some capacity 5) is stable emotionally, spiritually, and financially 6) is taller than I am 7) wants to have kids, someday 8) comes from a somewhat stable background 9) will allow me to spoil him with my cooking and 10) will cherish me and love me to the end of time. In all seriousness, there are only a few on that list that I won't budge on...I mean really, if he doesn't like the Steelers, I see no future. (JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!)
I guess it just kinda blows my mind when people marry for all the wrong reasons. I just that I can tend to have some small amounts of jealousy seeping out when I hear women talk about how their husbands don't ever do anything to help them...I'm going to guess that that man is, at the very least, working 40+ hours a week to provide for their family and allowing them to be poolside on a Tuesday at 3pm. Isn't that kinda helping? Yes, I know that I've heard my own mother beg my dad to help her out (Love you, Mom!) around the house and for the most part, he kinda does...at his own pace...which usually isn't the pace that she would prefer. I'm sure that when my time comes, I will learn about the intricate balance of wedded bliss, but until then it is sometimes hard to bite my tongue when people are complaining about their spouses.
I'm also pretty sure that this blog will come back and bite me in the butt in twenty or thirty years, but I just have to set the record straight: Ladies...there are women out there who would love to have someone to walk, talk and play games with...even if he might be grouchy after work, may not pick up his dirty clothes off of the floor and he never puts the toilet seat down.
No comments:
Post a Comment