So I ran across this book when purchasing another one online and it came in the mail the other day. It's called, "Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God" by Francis Chan. I never heard of it, but the cover looked cool. (Dumb, I know...)
I started reading it last week and it's absolutely blowing my brain out of my head, convicting my heart and making me realize there is so much more that I need tremendous work on in my life. It's pretty incredible how God will flash something or someone in front of you to teach you something that you need to know. (I just wonder how many times I've missed those opportunities in the past?)
So far, the thing that has stuck out for me while reading the chapter titled, "You Might Not Finish this Chapter," (yeah....the author does not apologize for stepping on toes AT ALL...which is exactly what I need...) was about worry and stress. Now, this being the end of the school year, (there are 18 days left and I AM counting) I have been feeling somewhat stressed out by the behaviors of some of my students....to the point where my left eyelid has started twitching. A lot. All day long. So reading this chapter that I was warned I may not finish has had perfect timing for me. Chan basically says, "...these...behaviors communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and trust reek of arrogance...I am still dumb enough to forget that life is all about God and not about me at all."
SHAZAMM! There it is. It's just not about me. I don't go around proclaiming that everything that is ever going on has to have me in the center of it, but I do know that I have my hand in a lot of pots that I shouldn't be worrying about. The kid(s) that make my eye twitch? Maybe there is something going on at home that I don't know about and couldn't possibly imagine going through as a twelve year old. (I do believe that some of them just get immeasurable joy out of getting on my nerves...)
A friend of mine has been a great example of not letting stress and worry overrun your life. Instead of going into panic mode about a job situation, he is just not concerned about it. He knows that God is in control. He knows that he's covered. And I really believe because of that quiet witness of faith in an all-powerful God, my friend is going to be more than okay. God is at work and big things are happening. If he was worried and stressing about it, there is a possibility that he might miss what God wants to entrust to him next. How cool is it that while reading this chapter, God has placed a living example right in front of my face to live out the lesson I need to learn. Worry less. Stress less. Stop the arrogance and the eye twitching and trust---ALWAYS.
No comments:
Post a Comment